Article Image Alt Text

Louisiana Department of Health verifies one additional hurricane-related death, bringing toll to 26

BATON ROUGE — The Louisiana Department of Health on Tuesday verifies one additional death tied to Hurricane Laura, bringing the state’s current death toll to 26.
A 45-year-old male in Calcasieu Parish died of smoke inhalation and thermal burns in a house fire caused by using a candle or lantern for lighting. The coroner has confirmed this death is storm related.

Below are details on the 26 deaths LDH has verified to date:
14-year-old female, Vernon Parish, fallen tree
51-year-old male, Jackson Parish, fallen tree
68-year-old male, Acadia Parish, fallen tree
64-year-old female, Allen Parish, fallen tree
Male, Calcasieu Parish, drowning
24-year-old male, Calcasieu Parish, carbon monoxide poisoning from generator
56-year-old female, Calcasieu Parish, carbon monoxide poisoning from generator
61-year-old male, Calcasieu Parish, carbon monoxide poisoning from generator
81-year-old female, Calcasieu Parish, carbon monoxide poisoning from generator
72-year-old male, Calcasieu Parish, carbon monoxide poisoning from generator
84-year-old male, Allen Parish, carbon monoxide poisoning from generator
80-year-old female, Allen Parish, carbon monoxide poisoning from generator
57-year-old male, Calcasieu Parish, head injury after falling from roof
31-year-old male, Calcasieu Parish, carbon monoxide poisoning
49-year-old male, Rapides Parish, storm cleanup
36-year-old male, Beauregard Parish, heat-related illness
80- to 89-year-old female, Beauregard Parish, heat-related illness
65-year-old male, Rapides Parish, heat-related illness
50-year-old male, Rapides Parish, heat-related illness
70-year-old male, Calcasieu Parish, carbon monoxide poisoning from generator
41-year-old male, Vernon Parish, heat-related illness
47-year-old male, Vernon Parish, heat-related illness
59-year-old male, Calcasieu Parish, head injury during storm cleanup
52-year-old male, Grant Parish, heat-related illness
25-year-old male, Natchitoches Parish, electrocution
45-year-old male, Calcasieu Parish, smoke inhalation and burns from house fire
In an effort to ensure the most accurate reporting of deaths that are attributable to Hurricane Laura, the Louisiana Department of Health will only report a death after it has been confirmed as storm-related by the parish coroner.
Safe lighting
If the power is out after a hurricane, use flashlights instead of candles.
If you have to use candles, keep them away from anything that can catch fire. Always stay near lit candles.
Keep a fire extinguisher handy, and make sure your family knows how to use it. Read the National Fire Protection Association’s tips for using fire extinguishers.

Advertisement

Vermilion Today

Abbeville Meridional

318 N. Main St.
Abbeville, LA 70510
Phone: 337-893-4223
Fax: 337-898-9022

The Kaplan Herald

219 North Cushing Avenue
Kaplan, LA 70548

The Gueydan Journal

311 Main Street
Gueydan, LA 70542